It has been said that when all hell breaks loose, the people who stand by you without flinching are your family. When Marlena Kaufman and Amy Craft’s father, Guy Consentino’s world fell apart, they were there for him. Diagnosed with lung cancer in October 2011, Guy underwent chemotherapy with his two daughters by his side. Amy Craft and her younger sister Marlena watched their father go from bad to worse. The chemo had weakened Guy’s heart, causing him to suffer a massive heart attack in March 2012. The doctors didn’t expect him to live through the night. The two daughters witnessed a miracle—he lived for nearly four more months.
During all this emotional tension Marlena was halfway through her first pregnancy and sending her husband Chris off to serve our country with the Army National Guard in Afghanistan. Amy writes of her sister, “She did what any strong woman would do: [she] worked full time managing a salon supplier and helped take care of our terminally-ill father, all while knowing her husband was going to leave before [their baby] Derek was born.”
Marlena’s successful C-section brought a healthy baby boy into the world on July 20, 2012. The next day, her father passed away.
Marlena was consoled and buoyed up by the return of her husband for a few weeks and then sent him back to Afghanistan. She continues to fearlessly push ahead. Amy writes, “As the one who introduced me to Miche bags about a year and a half ago, she is one trendy woman who has been through so much. This determination, caring and extremely blunt attitude is all packed into a 5-foot shell with flaming red hair!”
Marlena’s unflinching fortitude is our inspiration behind this Shell. We’re sure Guy would be proud.
The Slabacks wanted children. When the couple’s hopes seemed to be completely lost—along came Jordan.
“She is my first adoption miracle, my angel, the precious baby God gave to me and my husband when we thought we might never become parents,” writes Miche Representative Kami Slaback as she suggests her daughter’s name be considered as a Miche Shell design.
Now a charming little girl of five, Jordan brings her family joy every day.
“Jordan is a sweet, fun, deliciously happy little girl who loves animals. She’ll kiss a frog or lizard just as soon as she will a puppy or kitten, but horses are her favorite! Jordan is just girly enough—she won’t fuss with hair bows and doesn’t care too much about shoes, but she beams and twirls when she wears a pretty dress,” explains Kami of her treasured daughter.
“That’s my girl!” We agree with you, Kami—she’s perfect.
The Jordan Shell for Demi was created with this delightful girl in mind. Kami states that Jordan is a big Miche fan, “Her favorite Shells are the brightly-colored ones: pink, purple, blue, and green. When I am about to purchase a new Petite Shell for her or my kit, I’ll ask her which one she likes. She makes me smile from ear to ear when she says, ‘I can’t decide. I want ALL of them!’”
Caramel is one of our favorite go-to colors for warm weather. The tasty combination of vanilla ice cream and gooey caramel topping isn’t just for tickling your taste buds—this summer you’ll want to blend the two colors in your wardrobe too. Try these delicious ideas to create your own eye candy:
1. Top a pair of colorful sandals with creamy white jeans and a cropped caramel top or blazer.
2. Slip into a cool white dress with a caramel belt.
3. Dress up casual denim with a tortoiseshell sunglasses and a handbag in caramel and white.
4. Start with a caramel leather skirt, add a pretty white shirt and top it off with a sparkling multi-strand necklace in pale turquoise and purple.
Go ahead and serve up a second helping of this style because it’s so simple and dreamy.
The Maryanne for Prima ($44.95) available for purchase May 1st.
Funky prints are a summer blockbuster. Whether you wear it in bright shades or subtle hues, tie-die and kaleidoscope prints add spunk to your look. Almost any bold print goes with a neutral palette. If you want to branch out, here are some other ways to wear eye-popping prints:
1. Sport a pair of cheeky printed skinny jeans with an understated shirt.
2. Pop on a pair of power-printed pumps. If you match a color from the print with your outfit, you’ll pull off this style seamlessly.
3. Carry a bright, cheery handbag. A print reminiscent of your childhood kaleidoscope (like this one!) is fun and effortless.
4. Downplay any bold print with a menswear-inspired navy blazer. This look incorporates both feminine and classic looks.
This summer’s hottest trend is chic and earthy, and pulling off the safari look doesn’t require a passport. Take an expedition through your closet or talk to a Miche Representative who can help you find the perfect handbag for a walk on the wild side.
Whether you suit up in olive and tan or simply grab an animal print accessory to spice up your look, this trend is slightly less treacherous than hunting down a rhino through the savannah. Here are some easy color combinations to help you pull off the safari look:
1. Green and white. Throw on some dark khaki skinnies and some strappy tan sandals with a soft, white linen shirt.
2. Black and beige. Try a beige jacket with a tied waist and a black tank over a taupe skirt.
3. Animal print. The versatility of animal print with just about any color means you can incorporate the jungle look into nearly any outfit. We like a dark forest green poplin shirtdress with a leopard print handbag.
However you wear this look, you’ll lead the pack with style.